Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sweet Potato Casserole

It's officially fall!!

Which means, it's time for soups and stews and...

SWEET POTATOES!

I love sweet potatoes. I remember only eating them at Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners when I was little and then having to wait an entire year before getting to eat them again.

No more! I made this last week the same night I made my Gingery Apple Pie for some of our friends. They were a hit and, while I do plan on making them for Thanksgiving this year, I will be making them even on non-holiday dinners.

The ingredients:
2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped; 3/4 C. sugar; 1/4 C. evaporated low-fat milk; 3 Tbsp. butter, melted; 1/2 tsp. salt; 1 tsp. vanilla extract; 2 large eggs; 1/3 C. flour; 2/3 C. brown sugar; 1/8 tsp. salt; 2 Tbsp. melted butter; 1/2 C. chopped pecans or almonds. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Okay, let's start with those sweet potatoes.
Peel them. Then stare at their perfectly autumn-y orange color. Chop them into big chunks.
Throw them into a large pot of boiling water. Boil for about 5 minutes, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Drain the potato chunks and throw them into a mixing bowl.
Add the sugar...
the evaporated milk (and please make sure you only use 1/4 C. of it. I just noticed that part when I was posting this. Using the whole can would explain why my potatoes were candy like in sweetness...we still ate them all...)...
the salt...
the vanilla...
and the 3 Tbsp. of melted butter.
Mix at a medium speed until smooth.
Add the two eggs and mix until they are blended. Pour the potatoes into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
Now make the topping by mixing the flour, brown sugar, and 1/8 tsp. of salt.
Once the dry ingredients are mixed, add the remaining melted butter and whisk together. Pour the topping over the potatoes as evenly as possible.
Then sprinkle the nuts on top.
Bake for 25 minutes. Then, taking the casserole out for a minute, turn the oven to broil. Once the oven's at a broil, allow the sweet potatoes to cook for 45 seconds until the top is bubbly. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving so no one burns the roofs of their mouths.


Mmm....
We ate ours with grilled pork chops, salad and a fantastic potato salad that our friends brought to eat with dinner. And, of course, we had apple pie for dessert.

The potatoes were delicious! It was like eating a candy vegetable, which I now realize is because I added the whole can of evaporated milk instead of just the 1/4 C. But, I'll remember that for next time. Elisabeth deemed them the best sweet potatoes ever. Our friends loved them too and asked for the recipe.

So, whip up a batch for Thanksgiving, but I definitely recommend trying them out on a non-holiday dinner too!!!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum!!! I love sweet potatoes but for some reason always forget to incorporate them into my meal planning. This week I actually remembered and I'm making a curry with chicken and potatoes and (believe it or not) a banana. =)
    Thanks for the step by step instructions! I just started a blog with some step by step recipes this summer, so I fully understand the challenges of taking pix as you go. But it's worth it for the readers like me!

    ReplyDelete