Saturday, September 18, 2010

Easy Guacamole

Guacamole.

It is food of the gods.

I do not make it enough. Usually it's because, if they aren't in season, avocados are EXPENSIVE. Also, you only have a short time to make the guacamole while the avocados are ripe and I always end up buying ones not ripe enough, leaving them out to ripen, forgetting about them and then having to throw them out because they've rotted. Plus, you have to eat the guacamole all right away because it does not keep well and until Elisabeth decided she liked eating it, it was too much for Evan and I to eat all by ourselves.

Life is rough, I tells ya.

But, we were eating tacos for dinner the other night and Elisabeth really wanted guacamole, so I decided to try out a recipe I hadn't used in ages.


The ingredients:
3 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and mashed; juice of one lime; 2 roma tomatoes, diced; 1 tsp. salt; 1 tsp. minced garlic; 1/2 C. diced onion; 3 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro; 1 pinch ground red pepper (cayenne).

Take your avocados and a sharp knife and cut them through the middle to the pit all the way around. The avocado should just peel apart.
Take a spoon and scoop out the avocado deliciousness. It should be super easy to scoop. If it's not, it's not ripe enough.
Put the avocado in a dish. Smash it. I like to leave mine kind of chunky.
Take half an onion (or a quarter, because my onion was large and half of it would have too much for my liking) and chop it up.
Add it to the guacamole.
Add the salt,
the cilantro (I had no fresh cilantro, so I used my freeze dried cilantro).
the garlic,
and the chopped tomato.
Don't forget that pinch of cayenne pepper!
You may have noticed that I have not said a thing about the lime juice. Well, I forgot it. DO NOT BE LIKE ME! Please, remember to buy a lime and squeeze the juice of it into your guacamole. It is an important ingredient. But, I didn't have time to go buy a lime and I had a 7.5 year old patiently waiting for her guacamole, so I made it anyway.

After you've stirred everything together, cover the guacamole and let it sit in your refrigerator for about an hour before serving. That way the yumminess of the ingredients (except for the lime juice, if you were me) can blend together into deliciousness.


I want to show you this:
It's my garbage bowl. If you've ever watched any of Rachel Ray's shows, you know she uses them all the time. I can not really watch any of Rachel Ray's shows because it kind of makes me want to pull my hairs out one at a time. I enjoy her recipes...but, she's just so...chipperly obnoxious. Anyway...I do love the idea of a garbage bowl. It makes the kitchen a lot cleaner while I'm cooking and I'm not running back and forth to the garbage can all the time.

And here it is:
Definitely missed the lime juice, but the avocados were perfect!!! Elisabeth was perfectly happy and declared I should make it more often. I really should, it's a super easy dish to make. Plus, you have to eat it all. Them's the rules.

Enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. If you keep the seed, you can throw the left over guaq in the fridge with the pit in it and it doesnt brown as quickly....you can usually keep it over night..

    ReplyDelete