Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Crispy Potato-Parmesan Galette

I realize that I post a lot of potato recipes.

But, I like potatoes. They're cheap. And so versatile. And cheap.

Do you all love potatoes as much as me or do you think I'm some sort of spud nerd?

Don't answer that.

This recipe does take a bit of time, but is definitely worth it!


The ingredients:
3/4 tsp. kosher salt; 1/4 tsp. black pepper; 1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg; 5 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted; 3 1/2 lbs. (about 5ish) russet or yukon gold potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced (1/8-inch); 1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.


In a small bowl, mix the salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Take your potatoes and peel them. You will notice in the ingredients picture above that I used both russet and yukon gold potatoes. I like to live dangerously.
Slice the potatoes thinly. I do not own a mandolin, so I had to just use my knife and my very poor judgement in measurement to get my potatoes thinly sliced.
This is how thin I was going for. Most of them were about this size. Some were a tad thicker. Some were a tad thinner. I'm not claiming to be perfect, people!
Take two Tbsp. of the butter and melt them on medium heat in a large, oven-proof skillet.
Take your sliced potatoes and make a single layer in the pan.
Then make a second single layer on top.
Sprinkle with half of the spices and half of the remaining butter. Top it with 2 Tbsp. of parmesan making sure not to get the cheese too close to the edge of the potatoes. You don't want to burn the cheese. It smells terrible.
Repeat the process. Let them cook 3 minutes on the stove top, shaking the pan occasionally to make sure the potatoes aren't sticking.
After 3 minutes, cover the pan with something that is also oven proof. I used foil because I don't have a lid big enough that could also go in the oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes, remove the cover, give the pan a little shake, and then put it back in the oven to bake for another 20-25 minutes.
Take a spatula and remove the potatoes from the skillet to a platter. Look how perfectly golden they are!!
We ate ours with steak and grilled zucchini.
The potatoes were delicious! They were cripsy and cheesy and just salty enough. Julia wouldn't touch them (she's 2 and is starting to declare she doesn't like things by just looking at them...fun), but the rest of us found them wonderful! And, it made quite a bit, so we had leftovers that heated up very well. It's a definite potato side that I will be making again. It's a new favorite!!

Enjoy!

1 comment: