Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chicken and Cashews in Lettuce Cups

I love chicken. I really do.

I like how versatile it is and I like how cheap I can buy it.

I also am fond of rotisserie chickens. Especially when I have a dollar off coupon for one. You can't beat a coupon. It makes grocery shopping fun, I tells ya!

I liked how this recipe looked in the picture from whatever cook book or magazine I got it from. I've been putting off making it because...well, I'm just kind of weirdo.

It is one of my new favorite recipes and I plan on making it one of our staple meals from here on out.

The ingredients:
3 Tbsp soy sauce; 3 Tbsp honey; 2 Tbsp oil; 1 1/2 lbs chicken, cut into 3/4 inch pieces; 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped; 1 Tbsp grated ginger; pepper; 1/4 C. roasted cashews; 1 8oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained; 1 small head of boston or bibb lettuce; 1 bunch of scallions, trimmed and sliced.

Did you know scallions and green onions are the same thing?

I am not embarrassed to tell you that I didn't know the difference for a long time. Years. Until maybe a year ago.

Nevermind, I am embarrassed. Don't judge me.

Let's start by mixing the soy sauce...
and honey into a small mixing bowl. Stir and let it sit while you fix the rest of the meal.
Take this lovely rotisserie chicken (that was a dollar cheaper than normal!) and completely demeat it.

De-meat.

Just take the meat off, please.
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, toss in all the meat that you managed to de-meat from the chicken (making sure to cut it into small pieces). Season the chicken with pepper.
Take the garlic cloves and chop them up. Toss it in with the chicken.
Take the ginger and toss it in with the chicken as well.
Stir! Stir! Stir!
Take those green onions (or scallions) and chop them up.
Add them to the chicken.
Toss in the drained water chestnuts too.
Re-stir the soy sauce/honey mixture because it's probably separated by now. Add half of it to the chicken mixture. Cook for about 4 minutes until everything's completely cooked together and coated.
While it's cooking, take the cashews...
and scrunch them. I bought this at IKEA, which is no where near me now. I miss you IKEA.
Scrunched.
Now, it's time to assemble. Take one leaf of the lettuce and lay it on the plate.
Add a scoop of the chicken mixture.
Sprinkle it with cashews.
Then drizzle some of the soy sauce/honey mixture on top.
Isn't it pretty? And holy cow, it was delicious. We all LOVED it.
Evan made rice and we scooped some of the chicken mixture on top of it and it was divine. In fact, if you want to ditch the lettuce and just use rice (like Evan told me he will do whenever we eat it again), it is just as delicious as with the lettuce.
It was like eating restaurant Chinese food in your home. Please make this immediately. Then eat all the leftovers. Them make it again in 3 days. You'll love it!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment