Sunday, August 29, 2010

Wicked Peach Cobbler

I have had this recipe forever! I loved the name of it because it reminded me of the musical WICKED and I love that musical. I pretend that this recipe is to made in honor of Elphaba.

I find it amusing that you are still surprised by my dorkiness.

Anyway, since I'm trying to go through all of my hundreds of recipes and find the keepers and throw away the weepers, I wanted to take this for our Thursday Dinners at my friend Rachel's house.

The ingredients:
3 1/2 lbs. medium peaches, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/4 inch slices; 1 C. sugar; 8 tsps. cornstarch; 1/2 tsp. cinnamon; 2 tsp. lemon juice; 4 Tbsp. butter, chilled and cut into small pieces. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Also, you will need a double-crust pie crust. You can buy one or make it. I used Pioneer Woman's pie crust recipe from her cookbook because it's super easy to make and it's so light and flaky.
I love peaches. They are one of the most beautiful fruits. Look at all the different shades of yellows, oranges and reds. Ugh! I love them!
Take your beautiful peaches and cut into them all the way around their diameter.
They should split open evenly in half. Then look at all the beautiful colors on the inside too!
Excuse me for a second, I need to go eat a peach right this second.


Ok. I'm back. I feel better.

Now, cut the peaches into slices.
Then cut off the skin. I just cut if off the wedges. If you know of a faster way of taking the skin off of peaches, then by all means, go for it!
Toss them all into a medium mixing bowl.
Then, add your 8 tsp. of cornstarch. Or 2 Tbsp. and 2 tsp. of cornstarch. However you'd like to do your math.
Add the cinnamon.
And the sugar.
And the lemon juice.
Stir! Stir! Stir!
Take your chilled butter...
and cut it into small pieces.
Add that to the peach mixture and stir again.
Take an 8x8 baking dish and spray it with cooking spray. Then put half of the peach mixture into the dish.
Roll out an 8x8 square of the pie crust and place it on top of the peach mixture.
Then dump the rest of the peach mixture on top of the pie crust.
Take the rest of the dough and put it on top of the peaches. Pinch any excess crust onto the sides of the dish.
Cut some slices into the crust so the cobbler can breathe in the oven for goodness sakes!
Place the dish on a cookie sheet in case of any spillage. Cook for 30 minutes and then turn the oven down to 375 degrees and bake another 10 minutes.
It's done. Mmm....it smells sooooo good.
Sprinkle cinnamon on the still piping hot cobbler. Then, wait 7 hours to eat it!!!! I'm just joking, you don't have to wait 7 hours. I had to wait 7 hours because I made it for dinner and it was the afternoon when I made it. It was tempting me greatly, though.
Here it is!
We warmed it up and everyone liked it! Everyone except Elisabeth who asked me not to put pie crust on it next time (the girl hates pie crust). It was the perfect sweetness with a bit of tart. The crust was PERFECT. I will most definitely be making this again!!!! (Oh, and I'll be doubling it if I have to make it for so many people again. There was much sadness that there were no seconds.)

No comments:

Post a Comment