Thursday, August 26, 2010

Portobello Mushroom Sandwiches

Hi. My name is Virginia and I have a mushroom problem.

I know, I've discussed this before. But, every now and then it feels good to confess your addictions to others.

The other day while perusing The Pioneer Woman's website, I came across her Portobello-Prosciutto Burger recipe. And while her's looked divine and delicious, I remembered that I haven't made my own portobello mushroom sandwich in a very long time. So, I decided to reintroduce the beautifulness of a mushroom sandwich to my family.

The ingredients:
Hamburger buns; portobello mushrooms; roasted red peppers; swiss cheese slices; olive oil; mustards and mayonnaise. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.


Oh, portobello mushrooms. I do so love you...

Take your mushrooms and wipe them clean with a damp paper towel, otherwise your husband will complain about dirt in his sandwich. (He's so picky.)
Take your mushroom...
and break off the stems.
Then, on a baking sheet (or pizza pan, like I used) drizzle olive oil over the mushrooms and brush the oil evenly around the mushrooms.
Do both sides, please!
Good job! Now, throw them into the oven. You'll want to cook them on one side for 10 minutes and then flip them and cook for another 10 minutes.
Now, while these are cooking, you need to think about your condiments. There are lots of different things that you can use on your sandwich that would really add a complimentary flavor to the portobello mushrooms. Evan prefers spicy mustards with his. Like this one:
And sometimes this one:
I enjoy pesto with mine. Or maybe a sun dried tomato spread. Ooh, or hummus!!! Unfortunately, I had none of those in my refrigerator, so I used my trusty mayonnaise.
Look! The mushrooms are done!
See how much darker they are? But, not burned. I don't mind things with a slight crisp of burn on them, but not my mushrooms!!!
Place slices of cheese on top of the mushrooms while they are still hot. I like swiss on mine, but I've been known to use provolone or havarti or muenster cheeses as well. Not yellow cheeses, though. That's icky.
Place the mushroom on your hamburger bun. Now, this is the key ingredient to my portobello mushroom sandwiches--roasted red peppers. You can find them in the Italian food section of the grocery store and I adore them. They bring a rich flavor the the meal that is absolutely necessary, I tells ya.
Ta-da!!!
To say it was delicious is an understatement. I think that next time, I might even double up on the mushrooms in the sandwich since one of the mushrooms really deflated while cooking. It could have used another one to beef it up some.

Elisabeth was served a mushroom sandwich at this meal as well and was blown away by how good it was. You see, most small children don't think that substituting hamburger meat with a mushroom is a wise choice. She's tried a bite of our sandwiches over the years and usually make a gross face. But, now that her taste buds are a mature 7.5 years old, she's ready to appreciate the wonderfulness of mushrooms. Julia, on the other hand, not so much.

The nice thing about this meal is that you can make it totally your own. Check out Pioneer Woman's version and then experiment on your own. I promise, you will not be disappointed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment