Monday, August 16, 2010

London Broil

Something that I greatly enjoy to do while browsing the meat aisle at the grocery store is buying meat that I've never made before and don't know what to do with.

It makes me happy.

It makes me feel adventurous.

And now that I've told you, it makes me feel kind of dorky. But, I know you love me anyway, so I'll ignore the dorky feeling.

So, that is why I bought London Broil. It's actually a London Broil Top Round. To find out what that means, you may look here at this Cuts of Beef poster. Evan found this and we often use it for when I've randomly bought meat and we're not sure how to cook it. He must really like me because he puts up with my dorkiness.

I searched the internet for recipe ideas and ended up combing a couple together to make my own. Here's what I did:

Ingredients: London Broil Top Round Steak; soy sauce; 1/2 C. red wine; 2 cloves of garlic, minced; 1/4 C. oil; 2 tsp. ground ginger; salt and pepper (not shown due to me forgetting them).


Place the meat in a flat glass dish.
Pour soy sauce over it.
There should be about 1/2 an inch or more of soy sauce by the time you're done pouring.
Add the wine.
Take the 2 cloves of garlic...
and mince it. Mince it good. Add it to the marinade.
Add the oil.
And then the ginger.
Stir the dry ingredients around in the marinade until it's all even-steven. Now, you are going to cover this up and throw it in the refrigerator to marinade for 4 hours. Half way, turn the meat so both sides are have equal time in their soy sauce bath.
After 4 hours, take the meat out.
Place it on what you will be broiling it on. Most people use a broiling pan. Alas, I do not. (Don't worry, I put it on my birthday wish list.) I used a cookie sheet. Pat the meat dry.
Then, put it in the oven (set to broil) and cook about 15 minutes each side (keeping an eye not to let it overcook). Please salt and pepper each side that is up while broiling.

That was a weird sentence. Did it make sense?

What I meant was, salt and pepper the top, broil for 15 minutes, flip it, salt and pepper that side and broil another 15 minutes.

Crap. Now that last sentence was a giant run-on sentence. Please forget that I used to teach junior high and high school English. Thank you.

Anyway, I kind of forgot to salt and pepper my london broil and it was a sad thing to forget.

Here it is all done. Yes, mine does a look a little too done. I'm sorry. I will try better next time.
Cut the meat against the grain in thin slices. Sneak a few bites while doing it. Don't feel guilty.

We served ours with corn and mashed potatoes. It was a typical "Manly Meal". :)
I totally overcooked mine. It was tougher than I wanted. I also think forgetting the salt and pepper while it was broiling was a giant mistake. So, DON'T FORGET TO SALT AND PEPPER.

Otherwise, the taste was really good and the girls both gobbled it up. I think next time I will keep a better eye on it and not let it cook so long in my oven. I also think I will reserve the marinade to use as a sauce to put on top. Don't worry, I will be using this cut of meat again!

No comments:

Post a Comment