Saturday, April 10, 2010

Guest Cook- Ethan Cain!

Hello, Ethan Cain here. I'm only 3 but I'm a prolific writer and an excellent cook. I just had to try my hand at making Aunt VA's baked sesame chicken.

The real reason why I had to make it? My mommy was about to make it with SUNFLOWER SEEDS. That lady needs help! Lots of it!


Forgive me, I'm only 3 so I evidently am unable to post pictures in the correct order. Above is the 'after' picture of my corner where I like to help cook. As always, I was quite helpful and my mommy and daddy loved cleaning up after me!

Now then, down to business...
We didn't have an sesame seeds, so I decided it would be fun to use the mortar and pestle set to crush ramen noodles instead to make a crunchy coating. (Wouldn't you know it....the mortar and pestle is good for other things than squishing melatonin for my applesauce 'sleepy snack'.)
See how I'm using my right hand? I'm trying to trick everyone into thinking I'm left handed, then, as soon as they aren't looking I use my right and. Clever, huh?
More grinding. This is important stuff.

So, basically the chicken was super crunchy. We ate it anyway and no one broke a tooth. Perhaps next time we will actually follow the directions (booooooooring). The plus side? We saved the chicken and made yummy chinese chicken salad the next night!

Chinese Chicken Salad

Ingredients:
1 pkg. cole slaw
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1/2 C. sunflower seeds
2 pkg. ramen noodles, crushed
shredded or cubed cooked chicken (about 1/2 lb.)

Dressing:
1/2 C. sugar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 C. red wine vinegar
1/4 C. sesame oil
1/4 C. vegetable oil
1/4 C. water
1 pkg. oriental ramen seasoning

Toast seeds & ramen in oven--350 degrees. Mix dressing ingredients and heat in microwave on high for 1 minute. Combine dressing with ingredients. Toss and chill.

Enjoy. :)

1 comment: