Thursday, April 22, 2010

Chocolate Fudge Pie Failure.

I have a story to tell you. It is the story of a pie that could have been.

It all starts in my kitchen. On Thursdays, a couple of my friends and our families meet at our friend Rachel's house for dinner. We take turns making the meals. It was not my week, but I really wanted to make a pie and share it with all of you here. So, I found a recipe for a Chocolate Fudge Pie and was excited I had all of the ingredients:
I made the filling and was getting ready to pour it into my pie shell, when I took a lick to see what it tasted like.

It was gross. Disgusting. Something was terribly wrong. I look at the ingredients and realize my horrible mistake: I'd used molasses instead of dark corn syrup.

I can not even tell you how completely yucky that pie filling was or how relieved I was that I hadn't poured it into the shell, because I was determined to mend my mistake at Rachel's house. I called her to see if she had corn syrup, and thankfully, she was at Super Target and picked some up for me.

So, I started a new at her house, with the correct ingredients:
I stirred them together.
See these eggs? Rachel's chickens laid them that very morning. Because she has 8 chickens and it is a wonderful thing...because she shares her eggs with me and I lurve fresh eggs for breakfast.
Every thing went well. I triple tasted the filling and it was very very sweet, but good.
I poured it into the pie filling.

And I baked it. A loooong time. It was bubbling and seemed to have set, so I took it out to let it cool. But....
This is what it looked like. It looked like I'd filled a pie crust with fudge topping for ice cream and was pretending it was a pie.
I have no idea what went wrong. I don't know if it should have cooked even longer. I don't know if the ingredients need modified. I do know that it was soooooo sweet that I actually cringed when I ate it. I do know that I accidentally used sweetened chocolate when I should have used unsweetened. I do not know if perchance it should have been chilled.

But, the children loved it, gooey failure and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment