Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Simple Turkey Chili

Chili is a staple meal in our house during the cold season. Usually, it's totally Evan's domain. He likes to experiment with different beans and spices and meats. But, he "allowed" me to make chili one day. I decided to try a tried but true route and went with this recipe.

The ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey; 1 small onion, chopped; 1 can (28oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained; 1 can (15oz.) hot chili beans; 1 can (15oz.) mild chili beans; 1 can (6oz.) tomato sauce; 1 can (4oz.) chopped green chilies; 1 packet chili mix; 1 can mushrooms.

Start by dumping all of the canned foods into your crockpot.

The diced tomatoes and tomato sauce...
the mushrooms...
both cans of beans...
and the chilies.
Take the ground turkey and start browning. I like using ground turkey instead of beef in chili because it makes the chili less greasy. But, if ground beef makes your heart skip a beat in your chili, then go for it!
Add the chopped onions to the turkey and brown them together.
Dump them into the crockpot.
Take the chili seasoning mix and sprinkle it on top.
Stir together and then allow the chili to cook on high for 5-6 hours.
Once again, I have failed you all and forgot to take and after picture. My sincere apologies.

This chili was great. It wasn't spicy enough for Evan, so he added extra chili powder to his bowl. I found it to be the perfect mixture of beans and meat. I'm not a bean person, so I don't like my chili to be bean based. We top our with cheddar cheese and sometimes crackers. This would be perfect with the skillet corn bread I posted about yesterday!!!! Evan loves to break cornbread into his chili and stir it around.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment