Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Cider Pork Stew

I love apples.

I love apple cider.

I love stew.

I love this recipe.

The ingredients:
2lb. boneless pork, cubed; 3 Tbsp. flour; 1 tsp. salt; 1/2 tsp. dried thyme; 1/4 tsp. black pepper; 6 carrots; 4 potatoes; 2 onions; 1 apple; 2 C. apple cider; 1 Tbsp vinegar; 1/2 C. cold water; 1/4 C. flour.

I started by slicing and dicing the apple...

the potatoes...

and then remembered to prep the pork. Doh! So, I took all the cubed pork and threw it into a large baggie...
added the 2 Tbsp. of flour...
the salt...
the thyme...
and the pepper.
I shook it all about. I did the Hokey Pokey and I turned myself around. That's what it's all about.
I then proceeded with more slicing and dicing of carrots...

and onions.

I threw all of the veggies into the crock pot and threw the seasoned pork on top. (Oh, I ended up finding 3 stalks of celery that needed to be used or thrown out soon, so I chopped them up and added them to the stew as well.)
I measured the apple cider...
and added the vinegar to the cider.
I poured it over the meat.
Cover and cook on low heat for 10-12 hours. Do not stir. I ended up adding a bit of chicken broth to it because I always worry that it'll all evaporate. I only added maybe 1 cup to the stew. Then, after the 10-12 hours, turn the crock pot to high. Blend together the water and 1/4 C. of flour. Stir into the stew. Cover and cook for 15 minutes until thickened.

I did not remember to take a picture of the finished product, but let me tell you it was delicious!!! The girls both LOVED it and we ate it as leftovers and it was even better as leftovers. It was a very rich flavor and fabulous stew. Totally perfect for a nice, cold fall day!!! We will be making it again soon.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment