Sunday, November 7, 2010

Ravioli with Sauteed Zucchini

I have had this recipe in my recipe book for ages. AGES!! I seriously think it was one of the first recipes I ever added to it. But, for some reason, I always forget about ravioli. Tortellini for that matter too.

Maybe it's because they're usually hiding in the freezer section?

Or maybe because my first job was at a LaGondola Spaghetti House and my most hated job was the spaghetti/ravioli station and so I have forever banned those two foods from every entering my menu planning mind?

I shall ponder this conundrum more later.

(Also, I can not even believe they have a website for LaGondola!!!! They didn't even take credit cards when I worked there 13 years ago! I still insist on eating from there every time we are back in Illinois!!! Love it!)

For now though, I need to share this recipe with you because it so flipping easy to make and was so so so good.

The ingredients:
1 lb. cheese ravioli (fresh or frozen); 2 Tbsp. olive oil; 3 small zucchini, sliced into thin half moons; Kosher salt and pepper; 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced; 1/2 C. Parmesan cheese. Start boiling the water for the ravioli.

Start by cutting your zucchini in half.
Then thinly slice the halves. I find zucchini to be one of the prettiest vegetables, don't you? Yes, I know that's a weird thing to say. Shush.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet. Once the oil is hot, add the sliced zucchini...
1/2 tsp. of salt...
and some pepper. Sautee for 4-5 minutes.
Thinly slice those garlic cloves and add it to the zucchini, sautee-ing it for a couple of minutes.
Now, you by no means need to have to do this, but I decided to warm up some marinara sauce. Evan gets nervous when I serve pasta and there is no red sauce for him to drench the pasta in, so I just warmed up a little to drizzle on if so desired.
Oh my, look at this fabulous zucchini!!! I love zucchini. I should buy it more and add it to all my meals.
Once your water is boiling, toss in the ravioli. It should take about 5 minutes. Here's a secret I learned from working at LaGondola as a 16 year old youth--you know when ravioli is done cooking when it floats to the top. Once they're all floating, take them off the heat. If you leave them on too long after they've cooked, they start to get super soft and will fall apart. That's icky.

Pour the drained ravioli into a bowl and add the sauteed zucchini on top.
Add 1/4 C. of the cheese and stir it all together. Then, once you've gently stirred it all, add the other 1/4 C. of the cheese on top and serve.
Viola! Oh my goodness this meal was soooooo good.
I did add a little of marinara sauce to it for a few bites, but I honestly liked it better without the sauce and Evan even agreed with me. I totally fell out of my seat and broke my brain when he admitted that a pasta dish could be good without a red sauce. Miracles do happen.
The next time I make this dish (which will be soon because all of us liked it and that makes me happy), I shall probably add sauteed mushrooms to it as well.

But, you all know I have an enormous mushroom problem, so I'm sure you're not surprised.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment