Thursday, May 5, 2011

Quesadillas!

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!! I super enjoy this holiday because our family loves Mexican food and this is a fabulous time to either go to our favorite Mexican restaurant or make some yummy food at home.

A super simple and delicious Mexican dish that the girls really like are quesadillas. And the thing is, I always forget about them.

All you really need to make quesadillas is tortillas of any size and cheese. Warm some oil in a large skillet throw in a tortilla, the cheese and another tortilla, flip it so both sides are cooked and viola! You have quesadillas.

Now, of course, you can always add lots of extras to your quesadillas. We like spinach and chicken in ours. I also enjoy peppers, mushrooms, onions and sometimes beef.

Today, I am going to share with you our spinach quesadillas.

I bought frozen spinach and cooked it in a small skillet.
In a large skillet, I warmed some olive oil (about 2-3 Tbsp.) and used the burrito tortillas I had left over from a previous meal. I put one in the hot oil. (Note: if you don't have a huge pancake flipping spatula like I do, then I'd suggest cutting burrito sized tortillas in half before constructing the quesadilla so you don't make a giant mess in your skillet when you try to flip the super large quesadilla, resulting in you saying a string of swear words in front of your toddler. Just a bit of advise.)
Added some spinach.
A good amount of cheese (a heaping cup is what I used).
Add the other tortilla on top.
Now, be careful not to burn the bottom tortilla. Just use your spatula to check it's doneness before flipping it. I, of course, burned one pretty badly because I am a terrible listener.

I threw my quesadillas on a pizza pan and used my pizza cutter to nicely cut them. It made me feel like a professional, I tell you!
Delicious!
I served our quesadillas with spanish rice and oranges. I also had salsa and sour cream to top the quesadillas with. Honestly, this is such a simple dish and can be totally custom made to your taste buds. Try them immediately!!!

Enjoy!

1 comment: