Monday, April 18, 2011

Oreo Pie

Hi! Long time no see!!

I have been in a blogging slump--too lazy, uninspired, etc. etc.

But, I am not letting those excuses rule my cooking blog any longer! I shall cook and photograph and share because once I actually do it, I feel inspired to do more!!

Funny how that works, isn't it?

So, today, I am sharing a fabulous pie recipe with you. I had a gallon sized bag of crushed oreos in my freezer that needed to be used. (I had crushed them for the "dirt" for my "witches' fingers" cookies at Halloween.)

So, I turned to my handy dandy church cook book and found a perfect recipe to use those crushed oreos in!

The ingredients:
1 1/2 C. half & half; 1 (3.4 oz) package instant vanilla pudding; 1 (8 oz) container of whipped topping; 1 C. crushed Oreos (about 11 cookies if you don't have a giant gallon bag of them in your freezer); 1 chocolate crumb crust.

Now, I made my chocolate crumb crust from my gallon sized bag of oreos. I used 2 1/4 C. of oreos and 6 Tbsp. of melted butter. I mixed them together and then pressed them into a 9 inch pie dish. I smoothed it to make it flat and then put it in the refrigerator to firm for an hour. Presto! A lovely chocolate pie crust!

Now, on to the filling!!

In a mixing bowl, combine the cream and the pudding mix.
Beat on a medium speed for one minute.
Allow the mixture to stand for 5 minutes. Once the five minutes are up, fold in the whipped topping and the oreos.
Mmm...
Now, take that beautiful chocolate cookie pie crust...
and spoon in the pie filling.
Oh, look! Some of that filling is still on the spatula.
Yum!
The pie will need to freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight. It can stay frozen for up to 3 months!!!

Once you are ready to eat the pie, you will need to let it sit out for a good 10 minutes before you attempt to cut it.

But, once you cut it, expect to be in frozen oreo pie heaven.
This pie was fabulous!!!! Not to mention so easy to make. I served it for a Thursday Dinner with our lovely friends and they all liked it so much the kiddos wanted seconds. It is very rich, which makes the fact that you can keep eating small slices of it for up to 3 months even more appealing. This would make a wonderful summer treat!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment