Sunday, April 3, 2011

Chicken leg quarters

I need to share a cooking secret with you:

Buying chicken with the bone in it is waaaaaaay cheaper than buying boneless.

Amen.

Also, it's not that hard to cook. I promise.

For example, this is what I recently purchased at the store:
It is over 5 pounds of chicken. Granted, some of that weight is the bones, but look at this price:
So, here's my secret to buying and cooking bone-in chicken...I boil it.

In my giant stockpot.
I bring the pot to a boil and then put it on a medium-heat cook that chicken until it literally falls off the bone. It takes about 2 hours, but I just let it cook while I'm busy around the house. Then, the chicken is so tender that it pulls away from the bone and I am left with about 4 pounds of chicken to use in meals for the week. I also have homemade chicken broth that I run through a strainer and can freeze and use whenever chicken broth is needed.

So, don't be scared of bone-in chicken. You can definitely conquer it and save a bundle of money as well!


No comments:

Post a Comment