Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

Do you remember last year when there was a canned pumpkin shortage?

And everyone was freaking out that they may not have pumpkin to make their pies and other dishes in time for Thanksgiving?

Well, I do. So, this year, when I saw it in the stores, I may or may not have squealed with delight when I saw them on the shelves and may or may not have grabbed an indecent amount and threw them into my cart while laughing a delirious laugh of joy.

Regardless of what might have occurred at the grocery store in front of my youngest and complete strangers, I am happy to say that I made pumpkin bread for us yesterday. The house smelled heavenly and Elisabeth reminded me that I didn't even make this bread last year. I then told her about the pumpkin scare of 2009. She had nightmares.


The ingredients:
3 1/2 C. flour; 1/2 tsp baking powder; 2 tsp. baking soda; 1 1/2 C. brown sugar; 1 1/2 C. sugar; 1 C. oil; 4 eggs; 1 1/2 tsp. salt; 1 tsp each of nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon; 2 C. of pumpkin. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Start by dumping the flour into your mixing bowl. Oh, what's that? Why yes, that is a new Kitchen Aid mixing bowl I'm using. My favorite sister-in-law gifted me this for my birthday. It has measurements on the side and a spout. I lurve it.
Then add the baking powder...
the baking soda...
the sugar...
Oh, hi, Julia. I see you've gotten into the winter wear. You look lovely.
the brown sugar...
the salt...
the nutmeg...
the cloves...
and the cinnamon.
Mix them together.
Now, in a separate bowl, dump the can of pumpkin. (Do you see me in the bowl? Peek-a-boo!)
Add the oil to the pumpkin and mix together.
Mix together the pumpkin to the dry ingredients.
Mix well.
Then praise the beautiful color of the batter and go ahead and take a lick. It's wonderfully delicious.
This makes enough for two loaves. So, generously grease two loaf pans and pour in the batter.
Cook for 50-60 minutes until it looks like this and a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Oh my goodness, look at that bread.
This bread was perfectly pumpkin-y and moist. My girls have almost eaten half a loaf on their own. It's such a simple bread to make (you know, once you've located the pumpkin at the store). And it makes your whole house all warm and smell like fall.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment