Friday, October 8, 2010

Pita Chips

Sometimes, when I rip recipes out of magazines and stuff them into my cookbook shelf and then decide to go through them when I can't take a cook book off the shelf without ten bajillion loose magazine pages flying out at me, I'll look at the recipes I deemed worthy to be torn from the said magazines and think:

Really? I thought you sounded good? Hm. I must have been half asleep/drunk/lost my reading skills that day.

Not so with this one. I found this pita chip recipe and saw it's simplicity and it's ingredients and knew I needed to make them and then eat them all immediately.


The Ingredients:
Pitas; olive oil; kosher salt; pepper; Parmesan cheese; oregano. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

See? Ridiculously simple.


Start by taking the pitas...
and cutting them in half.
Then, very gently, split the half apart. Obviously, I did not take my own advice.
Cut them into chip sized pieces. I cut each half into fourths. Put them all on a baking sheet. Four whole pitas will fill up 2 baking sheets.
Take some olive oil...
and brush it onto the pitas.
Sprinkle parmesan cheese over them. I did not measure--I sprinkled to my heart's content.
Then add the salt and pepper. Again, I did not measure. I like to live dangerously.
I took 1/2 tsp. of oregano and sprinkled them over both cookie sheets of pita chips. Use more if you'd like, but, like Goldilocks, I felt it was just right.
Then, take the baking sheets full of pita chips and put them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. Be careful not to let them get too browned.

And when they are done....
they will smell and taste heavenly!!
I ate mine with hummus. It is just as good with salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, hot artichoke dip, etc. etc.
You could always change the herb you use too. Maybe you're a rosemary or thyme or basil kind of person. Go for it!! Oregano is just one of my favorites.

I have to tell you that I took these chips to our Thursday dinners I have with my friends Rachel and Kim. I was passing them around when Rachel's youngest, Peter, asked for one. Peter is a lovely child, but he is a rather (very) picky eater. (Ex: He won't eat beans or potatoes or peppers or mushrooms or tomatoes or things he can't identify or has ever heard of.)

Peter took a chip and ate it. Then, when I was passing some out to his sister, he appeared at my elbow and said, "Hey! Those are good. Can I have another one?"

Be still my heart. I gave him the whole freaking bag. I love that kid.

If Peter loved them, then you totally will too!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment