Thursday, October 21, 2010

Can Can.


I love everything that has to do with cooking. If I could, I would cook and bake all day. I would take endless classes so I could learn MORE about cooking. I would live in my kitchen all day long and just make delicious dish after delicious dish.

If my pantry magically refilled itself for free.

And if I had a house elf to clean my kitchen up after me.

And if I had the storage space for all the finished dishes.

Canning is one of those things that I've always been interested in learning how to do. Last weekend, I got some first hand lessons from 2 lovely friends and then the supplies to make jelly on my own from another.

It was a wonderful canning weekend for me.

On Friday, I went over to support my friend Kim (by staring at her and slicing strawberries and yapping her ear off) while she made strawberry jelly. It smelled heavenly in her home.
We made applesauce at my friend Rachel's mom Lynn's house on Saturday. She has this super cool thing-y that smooshes the apples into applesauce texture. (I should probably re-ask the name of it since I need to have one now). She also uses it to make homemade tomato soup which is the absolute best tomato soup I have ever had.
Elisabeth did all of the smooshing for us. She was most proud and will gladly tell you that she made all the applesauce by herself.

The smell of cooked apples filled the whole house. It was a perfect fall day smell.
I am now attempting to jar my own prickly pear jelly. My friend Shanya gave me the prickly pears and I have attempted to make it on Sunday. I am patiently waiting for her advice because it hasn't totally jelled yet and I am nervous. I forgot to ask how long it takes to fully jell.

No worries, though. I'm not giving up on this whole canning thing. I have big plans for rows and rows of homemade jellies and jams and sauces and soups and maybe even pickles!!!!

Again. I am a cooking dork.

No comments:

Post a Comment