Monday, May 24, 2010

Oven Fries

Recently, I happened to be on base when they were having their case sale at the Commisary. I had never been to a case sale before (due to still being new to the Air Force and everything) and was super stoked to find out that a case sale was in fact a sale on CASES of food.

I was ecstatic.

One of the many, many things I purchased was 10lbs. of potatoes. Our family loves the potato. It's so diverse. You can do millions of things with them. And, I totally plan on showing you some of those millions of things while I steadfastly create meals around 10lbs. of potatoes. :)

First on the list--Oven Fries.

Oven Fries are a staple side in our house. They are mindlessly easy to make and just sit in the oven baking away while you tend to the rest of the meal. Plus, you can make them for 1-2 people or for a dinner party, depending on how many pounds of potatoes you .

(I have 10lbs.)

Let's get started!

Ingredients:
potatoes; olive oil; Kosher salt; pepper. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


Since this is a free country and you can slice and dice your potatoes however you wish, I will just show you how I choose to cut mine.
First, I cut it in half.
Then I cut the halves in half aka fourths.
Then I cut the halves halves in half aka eighths. (I know, you'd never survive in the kitchen without me. I'm the reason you know fractions. Does it scare you I used to teach children?)
Take all the cut up potatoes and throw them in a bowl and add some olive oil. I don't measure, I just pour until I think it's enough. If I had to guess how much I pour, I'd say it's around 1/4C.
Then I toss in some Kosher salt. Kosher salt is muuuuch more forgiving then table salt, so I don't panic if I accidentally add more than intended. But, please remember, I do love salt and would love to have a salt lick in my home like they have for deer. I'm just saying.
Then I add some pepper. I stir the potatoes around until I'm sure they're evenly coated.
Place them on a greased cookie sheet. Make sure they're all touching the cookie sheet and none are overlapping each other or they won't cook evenly.
Oh, look! It's Julia! She's spinning in the kitchen until she gets dizzy, her favoritest thing to do while I cook.
I leave my oven fries in for a good 20-30 minutes, checking on them occasionally. Evan hates hates hates mushy oven fries, so I'm looking for crispness.
See how brown they are? Yum...
We ate ours with Pioneer Woman's Marlboro Man sandwich. It's Evan's favorite sandwich now and he asks for it all.the.time. You should go check out her website because it's fabulously fantastic and even my girls love it. And the oven fries are PERFECT as a side with the sandwich. I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment