Friday, March 12, 2010

Macaroni Tuna Casserole

Elisabeth's all time favorite meal is Tuna Helper. She begs for it every time we go to the store. And while I don't mind making it for her, I always feel like I pay too much for so little. It never leaves leftovers, and I'm sure by now you've noticed that I kind of like making meals from scratch.

So, I found this recipe in one of the church cookbooks I own and decided to give it a whirl. Not only were we happy with the outcome of the dish, it was incredibly simple to make! It makes me embarrassed I hadn't tried making it on my own before.


The ingredients:

8oz. macaroni pasta (or any other short pasta); 1 can cream of celery soup; 6oz. tuna, drained and flaked; 1/2 C. milk; 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese; salt and pepper for taste.

Cook the pasta according to directions, making sure it doesn't get too soft. We'll be cooking it in the oven later and we don't want it mushy. Gross.

While the pasta is cooking, go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Drain the pasta and add the celery soup.

The tuna.

And the milk. Then mix together.

After mixing it up and tasting it, I decided that it needed more tuna. So, I added a whole other 6oz. to the mix and some salt and pepper for taste. Stir again.

Pour the pasta mixture into a greased 2 quart baking dish.

Sprinkle the top with the cheddar cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. The cheese should be melted on top.

The end product. Look how melty the cheese is!


We served ours with steamed broccoli and applesauce. Well, I didn't eat applesauce because I find applesauce to be one of the grossest foods on the face of the planet. But, the rest of my family at applesauce.

Elisabeth was most impressed with the casserole and had 3 helpings. She was also most excited to know that there would be leftovers and she could eat more another day. It honestly was very good and way better than the box kind.

Julia also enjoyed the meal. She also had fun putting her napkin into the applesauce and then screaming because the napkin would get ruined.

She is a joy to spend meal time with.

No comments:

Post a Comment