Saturday, March 27, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Dream Bars

My sister-in-law, Kyle, sent me this recipe and asked me to try it out for her and see how it tasted. I was more than happy to oblige. This is why she is my favorite sister-in-law.

I had a feeling that it was going to be scrumptious. With a brownie bottom layer, a marshmallow second layer, and a chocolate/peanut butter with rice krispies top layer, how could it possibly be bad? I was so right.

The Ingredients:

1/2 C. softened butter; 3/4 C. sugar; 1 tsp. vanilla extract; 2 eggs; 3/4 C. flour; 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder; 1/4 tsp. baking powder; 1/8 tsp. salt; 1/2 C. chopped walnuts or pecans (optional); 2 C. miniature marshmallows; 1 C. semi-sweet chocolate chips; 1 C. peanut butter; 2 C. rice krispies.

We shall start with the bottom layer first. Which makes sense. Aren't you glad I'm here to tell you the obvious?

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Take the butter and the sugar and put them in the mixer.

Cream them together until they are light and fluffy and a beautiful yellow.

Add the vanilla

and the eggs (one egg at a time).

Beat them until everything is mixed together into an even prettier yellow.

In a separate small bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and chopped nuts if your opting to use them. I opted not to because I didn't have any.

Add them to the egg mixture and mix until well combined.

Now, take a 9x13 baking dish, make sure and grease it, and add the chocolaty mixture.

Spread it evenly along the bottom of the pan. It'll be a thin layer. Please make sure and lick the spatula when you are done. That chocolateness is divine! DIVINE!

Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. It will look like this when it is done. DO NOT EAT IT NO MATTER HOW TEMPTING!!! Cause we are so not done yet.


Now, take the 2 cups of miniature marshmallows and distribute them evenly over the chocolate brownie-like layer. Put the dish back in the oven for 3 minutes.



While you're waiting for the marshmallows to cook, start on the top layer. First, get a cup of that peanut butter goodness

And add it to a small saucepan with the chocolate chips. Start melting and stirring.

Oh, good. The marshmallows are done. Please let them cool for a few minutes.

Once the peanut butter and chocolate chips are melted, turn off the burner and...

dump in the rice krispies.

Stir together until the rice krispies are completely coated.

Evenly pour the chocolate over the marshmallows. If the marshmallows kind of get caught up in the chocolate, no worries. It'll still taste wonderful. Refrigerate for about 2 hours.



After they are nice and cold, go ahead and serve those dream bars up!

Look at those layers!!! Yum.


These were so rich and good. I couldn't really taste the peanut butter, which kind of made me sad because I super love peanut butter. Evan does not like marshmallows, so he was not a fan, because you can definitely taste that sweet marshmallow layer. I couldn't eat those all by myself, so I had to share half the pan with friends. They did not complain. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment