Thursday, January 21, 2010

U-G-L-I, you ain't got no alibi...

I love the produce aisle. It is my favorite part of going grocery shopping.

First off, it is so stinking colorful. Every shade of the rainbow. There's a reason why these things are so good for you--they're soooo pretty. I can not help but buy at least one produce item when I am at the grocery store. (Although, lately, that would be because my baby eats at least an apple and a banana EVERY DAY!)

Recently, while browsing the beautiful fruit section I saw something...well...not so beautiful. I had seen them before, but hadn't ever bought one. Since they were only a dollar, I picked one up.

It's an ugli fruit.

No, seriously, that's it's name. And for good reason. It's not pretty. It looks like it didn't get enough tummy time as an infant.



But, I am all about trying new things and I decided to bring this one home. Elisabeth was most intrigued by it. She loves trying new things too. No, really, she does. I trained her that way.

Anyway, I googled the ugli fruit and found out that it's an accidental fruit. In that, it's an accidental cross between a grapefruit, Seville orange and a tangerine. They were found in Jamaica growing wild about 80 years ago. Now they grow them on purpose, and I am so happy they do.

Want to see what it looks like on the inside? Okay!
First I cut off the top...

and discovered that the skin is super thick.

But, once I started peeling it, it was easy.

Look! It looks like a pumpkin!


I served with the pork chops Evan grilled for lunch and some cottage cheese. If I was my Grandma, I would have put the ugli fruit on top of my cottage cheese and eaten it together. However, I think that is yucky. Sorry, Grandma.



I loved it. They were way juicer than an orange (so don't eat them on a first date...or with your boss...or in front of the old ladies at church) but a bit tarter. But a good tart. I was pleasantly surprised with how tasty they were.

I asked the girls for their opinions. Elisabeth was a bit distracted with a commercial during the football game. But when I screamed her name and threatened to take her toys and throw them all in the garbage disposal, she finally gave me her opinion.

Julia? Well, let's remember who we're talking about here. The girl LOVES fruit. But, nevertheless, I asked her if it was good and she nodded her head so enthusiastically, I thought it would fall off.



So, if you like citrus fruits, I highly recommend the ugli fruit. Despite its sad name, it's a delightful addition to your fruit bowl. We will definitely be buying more.

No comments:

Post a Comment