Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas

I made these enchiladas when Matt and Kyle came to visit. Evan told me that I would need to make them again soon so he wouldn't have to share them. :)

I love it when he loves what I've made for a meal.

These are quite easy to make and the ingredients can be adjusted to what suits you and your tastes. I've combined quite a few recipes until I came up with this one. So, feel free to adjust as needed!

The ingredients:

1 small onion; 1 1/2 C. cooked, shredded chicken; 3/4 C. shredded cheddar cheese; 3/4 C. of salsa; 8 oz. cream cheese; green chilies; 1 jar of green enchilada sauce; flour tortillas.

This is my helper. She is desperate to eat my ingredients. No, no, baby. Uncooked chicken is not good for you.

We're going to start by cooking the chicken. I use one large chicken breast and cut it into strips for cooking.

Then, heat some oil in a skillet over medium heat.

Once the oil is hot, add the chicken.

Next is the onion.

I'm sorry, Julia, but you just can't eat my onion either. I'm sorry you're so sad and obviously starving.

Anyway, chop the onion up.

Once the chicken has been cooked, add a tablespoon of butter to the skillet.

When it's melted, add your chopped onion and let it saute until the onion is translucent.

While the onion is cooking, start shredding that chicken! (I hate this part. Shredding is so mundane.)

Once the chicken is shredded and the onion is cooked through, add the chicken to the skillet.

Also add 1/2 C. of cheese...

3/4 C. salsa...

and the cream cheese.

Stir together until the cream cheese has completely melted.

Shoot! I forgot to add the green chilies. How much you add is totally up to how spicy you are wanting your enchiladas to be. I added about 1 Tbsp.

Hooray! It is all melted and ready to go! Please take your skillet off the heat and move it over to where you'll be assembling your enchiladas.



Okay, here's my enchilada making advice: actually measure out the mixture BEFORE you start dumping them on the tortillas. I always, always, always forget to do this and then my first enchilada has a ton of middle and my last one barely has any. It's supposed to be about 1/3 C. that you scoop onto the tortilla. Do it!

Now, take the two sides and have them meet in the middle.

Fold up the bottom part.

Tuck down the top.

And, TA DA!, you have a perfectly wrapped enchilada.

Place them all seam side down in a 9x13 pan. I use gigantic tortilla shells, so I can only fit 6 in my dish. If you use smaller ones, you'll be able to fit maybe 8.

Here's where I differ from others. I stinking love green enchilada sauce and it is what I use. You can use red or even just salsa. Me, I use green. Pour the whole can on top of the tortillas.


Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top of the sauce.

Cover the pan with foil and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Done! Look at how the cheese melted into the sauce. Delicious!

We ate ours with white rice (that I had tons of) and poured salsa on top of the rice to make it more spicy. Look at the inside of that enchilada. Yum...

No comments:

Post a Comment