Thursday, December 24, 2009

Slim Jim Chicken

I don't really know why its named this. It always makes me think it'll be kind of Chinese-foody, but it's not really. It's very lemony and tart. I love it though. It barely has any ingredients and can be teamed with a variety of sides that really bring out it's flavors. For this meal, I decided to use it as the meat for my Fried Rice recipe. If you like a lemony zang to your chicken, you are definitely going to love this recipe.


Here are the ingredients:

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts; garlic salt; paprika; lemon and lemon juice; 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.


First you're going to season your chicken breast with the garlic salt. Just dump some on and then rub it into the chicken.

Now, I cut up my chicken because I wanted to save a step later. Normally, I leave the breast whole and cook it that way. Either way is fine, depending on what you're planning on doing with the chicken. Once you've put the chicken in the baking dish (cut up or whole), sprinkle paprika on top.

Now, please remember, paprika is Evan's absoultest favoritest spice of all time, so I put it on pretty heavy. If it's not your ultimate favorite, then sprinkle as much as you like, but get a nice sprinkle on. The paprika and the lemon really favor each other well.

Fill up a measuring cup with half a cup of water.

Please zest some lemon into the water. About a teaspoon is perfect.

Pretty.

Now take half a cup of lemon juice and add it to the water as well.

Also add that 1/2 teaspoon of oregano to the water.

Stir together. Look at my cyclone. It made me so happy I showed Evan. He thought I was a dork.

Pour over the chicken.

Put the chicken in the oven for 35 minutes.

Flip the chicken breast (or pieces) over and cook for another 15-25 minutes depending on the doneness after the first round of cooking.


I put my chicken on top of a bed of my home made fried rice. I like how the tang from the lemon mixes with the tart from the soy sauce. Plus, it's super pretty all together.


I've served Sum Jim Chicken with steamed vegetables and noodles as sides. I've also served it with a baked potato and all the trimmings. Evan and I really like it, but Elisabeth thinks it's "too spicy". Julia seemed to be in agreement since she didn't eat nearly as much as she normally would if it were a different chicken recipe. Just remember to leave yourself time for all of the cooking and turning. It's not an under 30 minute meal! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment