Friday, December 18, 2009

Chickpea Pasta with Almonds & Parmesan

I think I found this recipe in a magazine. Had I read it even a couple of years ago, I would have flipped right past it, because of the word "chickpeas". Then I actually ate a chickpea and realized that I was wrong. So very, very wrong. Chickpeas are a wonderful, wonderful food that are very nutty and delicious, and mixed with this pasta, FABULOUS! Oh, and this was so simple to make as well.

Here are the ingredients:

1 Tbsp. olive oil; 3 cloves of garlic, chopped; 7 C. vegetable or chicken broth; 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper or 1/4 tsp. powdered red pepper; Kosher salt; 12 oz. angel hair pasta; 1 15.5oz. can chickpeas, rinsed; 1 C. fresh flat leaf parsley, rinsed; 1/2 C. grated Parmesan cheese; 1/4 C. roasted almonds, chopped.


I am also showing you the side we had--brussel sprouts.

Brussel sprouts are a favorite in our home and we eat them either steamed or roasted. I decided to roast them for this meal. First I take my frozen brussel sprouts and steam them. They steamed while I prepared my pasta.


Next, take your almonds, throw them on the cookie sheet, and let them roast in the oven at around 400 degrees for maybe 10 minutes. Check them so they don't burn.


Heat some oil on medium heat (in a pot, not a skillet like me) and...


chop up those garlic cloves.


After you've chopped them, let them sizzle in the oil for a minute or two. Try not to burn them. I am still trying to learn how to not burn my garlic. It's hard.


After you've let those garlic sizzle, start pouring in the broth. I used chicken.

Add the red pepper to the broth

and 1/4 tsp of salt and bring the broth to a boil.


Here you will notice that I went from my large pan to a giant pot. Yeah, I realized that I should have used the big pot the whole time, there was no way the 7 cups of broth was going to fit in my big skillet. I am just used to always grabbing my handy skillet and cooking away. Sorry.


How are your brussel sprouts doing? They look steamy enough to me!!! Go ahead and remove them from the heat.


Take those cooled off roasted almonds and start chopping them.

I love love love roasted almonds.



Your broth is boiling? Fabulous! Add the pasta, then. You'll be occasionally stirring the pasta until most of the moisture is evaporated, so keep it at a pretty high boil.



Take those brussel sprouts and just slice them in half. Aren't they so pretty?


Now, take some seasoned salt, and salt those brussel sprouts to your heart's desire. Sometimes I sprinkle oil before I salt, but this time I did not. Throw those into the already hot oven (400 degrees from when you roasted up the almonds) and roast them for about 15 minutes or so. Check them to make sure you don't burn them.


It is time for the chickpeas. Aren't they so delicious looking?! I love them, I truly do. Drain and rinse them, please.


Chop up that fresh parsley. It doesn't super matter if it's flat leaf or not. I like the curly stuff, but I'm partial to curly.


Look, the broth is almost all the way evaporated. Awesome!

So, go ahead and dump those chickpeas in.

Then the parsley. Isn't it so pretty? I love using fresh herbs when I actually remember to buy them. Which isn't often. They really add color to dishes. Oh, and flavor.

Stir, please.


Pour the pasta into a serving bowl and sprinkle the crushed almonds on top.

Add the parmesan.

Stir again. How delicious does this look? And the smell of the pasta with the almonds and cheese is to die for. Seriously.


And here are those roasted brussel sprouts. Yummers.



This meal was well received by everyone (even the children!). But it made SO MUCH! I will either half it next time or serve it when company comes over. Also, because it made so much, we couldn't keep up with the leftovers. After a few days, Evan went to have another helping of leftovers and said that when he warmed it up, the ingredients that made the pasta so delicious (the chickpeas, almonds, cheese, parsley) were too overpowering when he went to eat it after a few days of sitting and stewing in our refrigerator. So, try to eat it ASAP or serve it to a large crowd. They will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment