Sunday, January 30, 2011

Blueberry Muffins

So, I was wanting to make something easy to eat for breakfast when we went to the Chalk Creek Hot Springs with Kim and Rachel and their families and I thought blueberry muffins would be perfect. So, I went to my tried-and-true cook book of all the recipes I've saved and used for years now and...nothing.

Hm.

I looked in the church cookbook that I love...nothing.

I knew I'd made blueberry muffins before, but I'd thought I'd used a recipe. I guess I'd only used box mixes.

I found a recipe that looked delicious.

The ingredients:
3/4 C. milk; 1/4 C. vegetable oil; 1 egg; 2 C. flour; 1/2 C. sugar; 2 tsp. baking powder; 1/2 tsp. salt; 1 C. fresh, canned (drained) or frozen blueberries. Heat oven to 400 degrees.

I did not use the mixer for this recipe because I didn't want to over mix the batter and have the muffins be dry.

In a large mixing bowl, add the milk, oil and egg.
Whisk them together.
Then add the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Stir until it is blended. It'll be lumpy and that is ok.
Now it's time for these guys.
I love blueberries. They are so pretty and deliciously tart.
Add the blueberries to the mix and gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
Divide the batter into your muffin pan.
I had a little bit left over, so I used my mini-muffin pan. They're Julia sized.
Now, I love a streusel topping on blueberry muffins. If you do not, just skip the next few steps.

In a small mixing bowl, add 1/4 C. flour, 1/4 C. packed brown sugar, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon and stir.
Add 2 Tbsp. of firm butter to the mix...
and either using 2 knives or a pastry blender, cut the butter until it is pebble-like.
Sprinkle one Tbsp. of the topping on each muffin.
Bake the muffins for 20-25 minutes. Make sure and lick every last bit of batter off the spatula.
Viola! Look at that little guy. He's so scrumptious.
I enjoy a little honey on my blueberry muffins. Mmm...
The muffins turned out perfect. They weren't dry and the blueberries were the star of the show instead of just a supporting cast member. I will most definitely be using this recipe for blueberry muffins from now on since it was so simple and yummy!

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I have made those exact muffins before-- delicious. Like better than Starbucks and Panera. I love a big old fattening blueberry muffin-- yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love blueberry muffins. Yours look fantastic. If I was there, I'd definitely eat my share of them. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your muffins up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, these look so delicious! I love all things blueberry.
    I was jealous of your daughter licking the spatula!

    ReplyDelete