Thursday, January 6, 2011

Bird House

Amidst the hubbub of the holiday season, I neglected to talk about this year's gingerbread house.

Well, I showed you all on Elisablog how we "damaged" it, but not how we built it this year.

I decided last year that I wanted to build a gingerbread birdhouse. I found a free pattern online of exactly what I wanted it to look like, but the dimensions weren't on the site, so I asked Evan to do some math for me and create the pattern so I could bake the pieces.
Then, using Jana's Gingerbread recipe, I started rolling out the dough on my brand new flat cookie sheets I got for my birthday!!!! I asked for them specifically for gingerbread making!!
Once I rolled it to the thickness I wanted, I laid out the pattern pieces Evan made for me...
and trimmed the dough.
After the pieces were done baking, and while they were still warm, I lined up the pattern to the cookie piece and, with a sharp knife, trimmed the pieces to match the pattern exactly. This is important for the construction part.
After the pieces had cooled overnight, Evan made a "stand" for the house to live on (out of cardboard...someday I will have a wooden one that I'll use forever) and I wrapped it in Christmas paper. Then, Evan started constructing the house using the icing as the cement.


After the house had dried overnight and we were certain the roof was secure, I started decorating. I'd found some fabulous bird candies during Easter last year (on clearance!) and had been saving them for the gingerbread house. I also went to the Sunflower Farmer's Market because they have a unique supply of candies. Here's the end result:
The roof has dried mango pieces and giant Smarties. The sides of the house are candy coated sunflower seeds (which are DELICIOUS in case you were wondering).

The bird Peeps I saved from Easter included owls!



I was really excited with how the house turned out! Both the girls loved it! Elisabeth helped decorate it a little. I think next year we'll make small houses for the girls to decorate so they are participating...and so I don't have to share decorating my house. (Aren't I such a typical first born child?!)

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is one impressive gingerbread house. I love the dried mango pieces on it--yum. I'd probably pick them off one by one and eat them all. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't lie, I ate quite a few of the mangoes that weren't "good enough" for the house. It was amazing how many of them were non-house worthy! ;)

    ReplyDelete