Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Spinach & Mushroom Salad

Over the summer, I try to make light, non oven-y foods. This salad is fantastic for just that!
True, I did cook the bacon, but if you want, you could buy the already cooked bacon that they sell at the stores.

Ingredients:
1 bag of spinach; mushroooms; 4 boiled eggs; 1 package of bacon; 2 Tbsp. bacon drippings or vegetable oil; 1/4 C. red wine vinegar; 1 Tbsp. sugar; 2 Tbsp. water; 1/2 tsp. salt; 1/4 tsp. pepper; 1/4 tsp. dry mustard.


Start by cooking your bacon (you know, if you're cooking it). I set my oven for about 400 and let it cook a good 20 minutes. You'll need it crispy to crumble later.
Take your mushrooms...
and slice them. I bought a very giant thing of mushrooms and only ended up using about 1/2 of them for the salad.
Throw the spinach and the sliced mushrooms into a large bowl.
Take your hard boiled eggs and slice them as well.
Add them to the salad.
While I was waiting for the bacon to get crisper, I started on the dressing. Take the sugar,
the salt,
the pepper,
the dry mustard,
the water,
the red wine vinegar and put them in a small mixing bowl or cup.Ooh! My bacon's done!
Take the bacon drippings and add them to the dressing.
Stir well.
Crumble the bacon and add it to the salad. I didn't use all the bacon because there would have been a riot if I hadn't shared some whole pieces with my family, so I used a little over half the bacon.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix everything together well.
Serve!!!!
This salad does not keep well, so when I make it, we don't have anything else with it except maybe a fruit. I served orange slices with this the night we ate it. I like all the flavors together and the dressing really adds a nice tartness to it all. I'd say it serves 4-6, depending on your hunger.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment